You {Me}-- A Study-- Project Kick-Off

I once attended a church meeting.
Not news.
But this one in particular changed my life.
There was a guy there, not one I knew well, or have seen much since, though I run into him every now and again. He's a talented artist--one of those people you take an interest in, because they take such an interest in the world, you can't help but be drawn to that.
Anyway, he said something that day that I will never forget:

"I know God loves me because of the people he put in my life."

He said it, and I sat there, and let it sink in;
and it just kept sinking,
and sinking,
and sinking,
in the way that only such indelible truths can.
This project is a culmination of that, and it's going to be called:

You {Me}-- A Study

I just posted this on my Facebook:
I have decided to start a blogging PROJECT, with YOU as my subject. I have been thinking about this for a while... Your part: like and/or comment on this status. My part: I will write a blog post about a memory I have with you. I will try and write it so that only you and me will know what the memory is. I will link each post to my facebook page, but I will never disclose who you are. Not to worry, I won't write embarrassing and/or overly-personal stories.
If you read this here instead of there, feel free to comment on this post as well, and I will do the same for you.

While I realize that these posts will be interesting to those who I will write about, don't be fooled by some pretense of benevolence. I am doing this for myself. I want to explore what made me, me--the ways that people have influenced and shaped my life. This is deeply personal to me, and will probably end up saying much about how I view the world and other people, but I'm not planning on being libelous, so don't be afraid to let me in.

Think about it, the moment after we are born, our whole lives begin to take shape in relation to those around us. Thus "No man is an island" continues to be true, and will ever be true as long as God loves us-- which is a very long time indeed.

{Insert some Zen saying about how we come to be, only in our relation to others... anyone know any good ones? I tried to write one and pass it off as a legit proverb, but I don't have the patience now.}

I just took a look at the growing number of comments and "likes" on Facebook. This is going to be H-A-R-D.
Pretty much all the most worth-it things are.
I can't wait.

No comments :