You {Me}-- A Study: Silence

I have not written an installment for this project in much too long, I hope everyone will forgive me. Here goes:

Two words: cafe.rio.
Ok, three more words: barnes.and.noble.

I mentally sort through my top ten favorite college memories, and this is one of them. I wonder if you remember it like I remember it. I wonder if you remember it at all.

To be frank, I'm not entirely sure why it stands out so.

Most of our other friends had gone out together to participate in a large group activity, so we stole away, and went to grab a bite to eat. In fact, maybe we'd been planning to go out that night for some time. Whatever the reason, we were together because we wanted to be. It wasn't one of those, 'no better offer' kind of Friday nights. Well, I guess it was. There was no better offer, because what could be better than what we were doing?

I found myself a copy of Atlas Shrugged, because I felt I had to read it in order to be considered "well-read". You had brought your laptop with you, and sat at one of the cafe tables to do some journal writing.

I joined you. It was perfect.
Literally. Perfect.

You always listened to me and appreciated my ideas in ways almost no one else ever has. I do not say that just to say it. I mean it with all of the sincerity I have. While I still think we need to write a book of all of our philosophies and takes on life, and while I miss our chats immensely, it was this silence that stood out as I thought about our history

Initially, I wasn't sure why.
Then, it came to me.

A comfortable silence is born of a mutual understanding one has with another person. It is as though I knew what you'd say if you were talking, and you knew what I would say if I was talking. So, for those few hours, we didn't need to talk. We have always had a connection, you and I, that is enhanced by the conversations, and bolstered by the silences.

The hallmark of our friendship has always been that you listen to what I say without ever patronizing or acting in a condescending way. You treat my ideas with a degree of importance that eradicates any need for me to be constantly explaining myself. I can stay silent and still be safe. No need to justify, you are on my side, whether I deserve it or not.

Thank you for that, and thank you for the negative space--the silence. It is every bit as important to the overall composition as the flourishes. It is the balance that one does not always find in every friendship, and I feel fortunate to have it in you.