You {Me}-- A Study: Adventure

I think you could kind of tell that 12:30 a.m. was not the time I wanted to be negotiating with the employees of a just-barely-closed-for-the-night Wendy's to give you a frosty. A nobler woman than I once said that "Angry people are not always wise."- (Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice). I think the same can be said for exhausted people, so I let you have at it on your own. As you walked in, I depressed the 'recline' button on my seat in the car and thought that maybe if I fell asleep fast enough, I could dream that I was already warm in bed, instead of out here, chasing down icey treats at all hours.
It didn't take you long to get nowhere with the Wendy's employee. She was probably dreaming of bed herself.
"She pointed me in the direction of a McDonald's. It's not far"
I had been nodding off in the theatre, but had found a second wind in stepping outside. Unfortunately, the second-wind had long been used-up by the time we drove into the next city and back. I don't think bed has ever called my name so loudly.
I bit my tongue.
On to McDonald's we went.
The poor fellow working at the drive-in at that unearthly hour got more than he bargained for when we pulled up to the microphone to place our order.
"Yeah, how are the Rolo shakes?" you asked.
"It's a McFlurry. And we're out of the Rolo ones."
I don't think you heard him.
"Yeah, I was hoping to get a Rolo shake tonight."
"They're McFlurries and we don't have any of the Rolo ones right now."
I guess you still didn't catch his correction.
"Ok. Between the Oreo and the M&M shake, which do you prefer?"
"They're McFlurries."
By this point I was ready to crawl in the window, box the employee's ears, and make one myself. I didn't understand in the least why the young man felt that such impertinence was necessary, when all I wanted was to get some sleep.
"OK. Can I get an Oreo shake?"
He didn't argue you on that one, and I thanked the gods of the fast food industries as you pulled forward to the first window. While we sat there, the magical moment of 12:45 am tolled. You know, the moment where everything suddenly becomes side-splittingly hysterical; things that, 25 minutes earlier, may not have even merited a smile?
We sat there, at that window, and I don't know what made me think of it, but I couldn't help but bring it up.
"Did you take a look at that sign in the Diner tonight? The one that said, 'Come Again!'" I made quotation marks with my fingers in the air when I spoke to indicate exactly how the sign had been written.
I finished my thought. "I don't get it. What is the point of the quotation marks!? They are completely unnecessary!"
You were right behind me, and by then, we were already giggling more than the silly grammatical error had warranted.
"You know, it's like my old gramps used to say. 'Come Again!'"
We lost it.
There in the McDonalds drive-through, I temporarily lost my sanity. It was only made more funny by the fact that a few moments later our favorite employee stuck his head out of a window a few yards in front us, trying to see if we were coming for our "shake".
We were at the wrong window.
I am 100% sure he thought we were drunks, which was all just as well. I never will be drunk in my life, and, you know, you've got to get your kicks in somehow.
The point is, had we been sleeping at that moment, the one thing I thought I really wanted, I would not be writing this little anecdote. Your sense of adventure has always been such an inspiration to me; not in seeking midnight sweets, but in making life what you want it to be, and not letting little annoyances get in your way. You've always treated me as though I were endowed with that same unquenchable desire for adventure, and for fulfilling all of my dreams in-spite of the inevitable difficulties that arise in trying to do so.
If there is one thing I need a little more of in my life, it's that attitude. Thank you.

2 comments :

name said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
name said...

Oh, Katie! I have barely been able to read this, it must have taken me 10 minutes...I had to stop and catch my breath. The way that guy said "eets a mcfloorie" and the way that you mentioned the old saying from the diner. It may be trite, but we'll say it anyway, "Come Again!"

I lost it as well. And then to top it all off that guy pushed his head through the window at almost a perfect right angle to get the attention of his impaired customers.

It was just too much at that hour.

I see things more clearly thru my glass. And as I focused on you for a moment I had to think to myself, what happened to my fun-loving 9 year old sister who was always up for a whirlwind moviemaking weekend?

Someone replaced her with a bright, complex, and beautiful young lady (who still seems to be up for a whirlwind moviemaking adventure!)

Thanks for brightening my night with this great memory. Hope you had as much fun as I did.

Me

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/298638_2337017117396_1608919999_2268391_833312114_n.jpg